Acrylic Paint on Wood – A Guide on Painting on Wood with Acrylics
This post may contain affiliate links. We may earn a small commission from purchases made through them, at no additional cost to you.
Acrylic paint is made from several components, such as stability materials, silicone oils, blending components, and esters. This product dries very fast, is not difficult to apply, is affordable, and has great adhesive qualities. Acrylic paint works better on surfaces that are gloss-free, for example, any wooden surface, metal, leather, fabric, and metal.
Table of Contents
- 1 Does Acrylic Paint Work on Wood?
- 2 The Best Acrylic Paint for Wood Work
- 3 Preparing Wood for Paint
- 4 Painting on Wood
- 5 Does Acrylic Paint Work on Stained Wood?
- 6 Acrylic Paint on Wood Furniture
- 7 Frequently Asked Questions
Does Acrylic Paint Work on Wood?
Acrylic paint can be applied on several wooden platforms. If you apply it correctly, it will give you the best appearance. It does not take a long time to dry and is not difficult to spread on the surface. Moreover, the paint is non-toxic and water-based. Acrylic polymer emulsion gives a reaction to the components that are used to make this type of paint. Cleaning and maintenance of acrylic paint is extremely easy – just make sure you use clean water and soap.
Acrylic paint has a lot of advantages as compared to other products, such as the fact that it is not difficult to find. This is because it is a popular paint in most outlets. It gives unlimited coverage in the sense that you can use it on several different wooden platforms. Wood is also readily and easily accessible compared to other materials, although you have to make sure you pick the best wood that will not be difficult to work with. The perfect wood must be free of dents, cracks, or any damages as this will interrupt the setting time.
Acrylic paint does not consist of any dangerous chemicals or components. It is recommended for educational purposes in paint and art institutions where kids can apply it in their learning projects. Acrylic paint is a multi-purpose paint that can be applied on several wooden surfaces and still be able to produce excellent and professional results.
It is important to look at the nature and size of your work first before purchasing acrylic paint. Before applying it on wood, a thorough background preparation must be done first. This is done to create an even and ready surface for acrylic paint application.
It is advisable to do some background preparation and apply a primer coat beneath the actual acrylic paint in order to achieve the best outcome.
While wood does have a lot of benefits, there are also downsides of using wood instead of other surfaces like canvas. Acrylic paint requires a lot of effort in preparing the background surface of the wood. If the background surface of the wood is not properly prepared, the paint will not last long and will lose its pigmentation. The best solution is to apply a primer before the actual application of acrylic paint.
Wood also requires a thorough background preparation because it has more weight compared to canvas. Poor background preparation will make the wood twist out of shape. After a while, you would find out that it will be difficult to hang or display it your walls. The wood-frame structure is very difficult to put together as well, as it requires a lot of experience to assemble.
The Best Acrylic Paint for Wood Work
Any form of paint has to meet certain requirements before it can be used. For example, it must be durable and resistant to the vagaries of weather and use. In this regard, there are two main types of acrylic paint suitable for woodwork, being those of artistic quality and those of student quality.
Student-grade acrylic paint is quite affordable and does not have the same quantity or color texture as artist-grade paint. It does not have a large variety of colors and the paint is not very strong, which is because the paint is made up of fillers, thus making it more liable to any threat or damage.
Artist-grade paint, on the other hand, is the best option. Not only does it have a wider variety of colors, but it is also considered a strong option because it has a high content of pigment. It is quite expensive compared to student-grade paint, however.
Best General Acrylic Paint for Wood: CRAFTS 4 ALL Acrylic Paint Set
This type of paint can be applied on a variety of surfaces such as glass, plastic, wood, and clay-based surfaces. It produces excellent and professional results. The acrylic paint set is a budget-based product, making it a very cheap option. It also comes in a variety of packages so as to cater to different prices and purposes.
- Ultimate performance for any artist
- Lasting vibrant colors
- Blend, layer, and mix well
- The components are easy to combine and form a mixture.
- The paint is colorful and durable.
- It is multi-purpose and can be applied on different surfaces.
- The product offers a variety of colors.
- The product packaging is poor, thus causing the paints to dry.
Best Budget-Friendly Acrylic Paint for Wood: CASTLE ART SUPPLIES Acrylic Paint Set
This acrylic paint set is highly affordable and has the best qualities. It can be applied on a variety of surfaces such as wood, fabrics, canvas, paper, and glass. The set does not contain any dangerous chemicals that can be harmful to your health and the environment. This type of paint has strong adhesive qualities and does not take a long time to dry, which is an advantage in time-saving. This paint set is also suitable for kids still learning about painting in schools.
- Top-quality paints
- Easy to use with smooth application
- Bright, quick-drying, and long-lasting colors
- The application is very easy.
- The paints have a long life span and give a good color.
- This option is very affordable.
- The paints are not difficult to maintain and clean.
- The package comes with instructions on how to use the product.
- The paint tubes have a smaller diameter.
- This is not a favorable product for professional artists.
- This product mainly caters to small projects.
The Most Popular Acrylic Paint for Wood: APPLE BARREL Matte Acrylic Paint Set
This acrylic paint set caters to many artists with a different set of skills and expertise. It is also a multi-purpose paint set. It can be used on different porous surfaces such as terra cotta, wood, tin, and Styrofoam. The paint comes in various colors to accommodate your preferences. In addition, this paint does not contain any harmful substances, as it is water-based. It has strong adhesive qualities and provides an excellent and durable surface. It is very flexible and can be applied using different styles.
- Quality selection and value
- Premium performance on wood and other porous surfaces
- Non-toxic, water-based formula
- This paint comes in different colors to suit your preferences.
- You can use it on a variety of surfaces.
- It is not very difficult to clean and maintain.
- It produces finished surfaces that are very durable and resistant to weather changes.
- It has strong adhesive qualities and dries very quickly.
- The brand is very reliable and popular.
- The packaging or paint containers tend to break.
- The paint tends to make a mess on the surfaces.
- It does not come with storage facilities.
Preparing Wood for Paint
Before acrylic paint is spread on any surface, it is important to run a background preparation. The preparation allows you to produce top quality and durable results. We have outlined some fundamental stages to consider below, being the sanding, cleaning, and priming of the wood.
Sanding the Wood Before Painting
You have to sand the surface thoroughly using sandpaper that ranges from 140- to 180-grit. After sanding the surface, you can clean and remove all dust particles using a hoover or vacuum cleaner. You can also buy readily prepared wood and skip the sanding and background preparation process.
There is a certain trick that you can use to check for defects or areas that need attention: Slowly move your hand over the wood surface to feel the grain.
When removing dust from the wood, use a clean rag. You can also opt for tack tags that are professionally made. You can buy the tack tags from your local hardware stores or outlets. When cleaning, do not let any water sink into the wood, as this will affect the drying time of wood, thus causing the wood to expand and lose shape. A thorough cleaning process of wood will allow the primer to stick properly to the wooden surfaces.
Applying a Primer Before Starting to Paint
The best method to seal wooden surfaces is to apply a primer. If the primer is not properly processed, it will affect the adhesive properties of the paint to the wood. A primer gives the paint an added advantage in terms of an excellent appearance.
The process of applying a primer is fairly easy. You can use a brush, roller, or a sprayer. Of all the methods mentioned when applying a primer, the spraying method is the best one. This is because when you spray a primer, you avoid the problem of brush marks and lines.
You can apply several coats to ensure the best results, although you should allow some time for drying before applying each coat. It is advisable to clean and sand the surface with normal-sized sandpaper to make the coat even and ready for the next coat. Usually, the coats require up to 24 hours to set and dry properly.
Painting on Wood
There is a standard operating procedure that must be paid attention to when applying acrylic paint on wooden surfaces. Below, we have outlined some important factors that you need to consider.
- A brush of a higher grade is better than a less expensive one. Quality tools make the painter happy, and a brush of top quality will have a long lifespan, provided there is regular maintenance. Less affordable brushes are not good for painting because they have synthetic bristles, which cause a lot of defects such as marks, lines, and dripping. Top-quality brushes have soft, flexible bristles that can carry a considerable amount of paint. Also, pay attention to the type of paint you will be using.
Note: A high-Quality Brush is needed, so do not try to buy the cheapest option.
- A primer must be applied and left to dry before the paint application. The primer usually takes 30 minutes to one hour before it completely dries. Do not interrupt the drying process, as this will affect the outcome of your paint. Depending on the physical size of the surface you want to paint, use a brush or roller that is suitable for the area.
- Usually, big brushes are required for big projects. Be careful not to overload your brush, as this will affect the application surface. A good amount of paint to load on the brush should only reach the middle part, not the ferrule part of the brush.
- Make sure that you put a sealant surface on top of your acrylic paint. Putting a sealant on the wood surface will improve the appearance, prolong the lifespan, and make it easier to maintain and clean the surface. A sealant has the capacity of resisting defects like peelings and scratches.
- Craft and artwork can be sealed by mod podge. You can use a lot of techniques with this product, for example, as a brush-on sealer or clear acrylic spray sealant. For external art surfaces, you are advised to apply many varnishes. There is a grace period that you have to give of about 30 minutes to an hour to let the surface dry before applying other coats.
Does Acrylic Paint Work on Stained Wood?
It is possible to use acrylic paint on stained wood, although there are many procedures to be followed to ensure positive results. We have outlined some of the aspects to consider before you begin the process:
- The condition of the wood that has to be stained;
- The wood type that was previously used;
- The new wood type to be painted.
If you carefully follow the steps mentioned above, you are most likely to achieve your goals. Do an extensive background preparation by sanding and cleaning the wood surface. You have to remove stains that will affect the process so that your paint can adhere to the surface with ease. Use sandpaper to remove unwanted dirt and to gloss appearances. The purpose of sanding is to make the surface smooth and ready for the paint application.
The other method to treat surfaces that have dark paint stains is to apply a primer. A primer will make the surface ready for painting by influencing the pigmentation of the paint. The best way to get familiar with the correct type of primer to use is to check with your manufacturer or enquire from your local hardware outlets. The type of paint you choose should have the capacity to over-shadow the stains. Make sure that the primer dries first before applying the actual paint.
Acrylic Paint on Wood Furniture
Before conducting any painting process on wooden furniture, you have to do some background preparation. For most furniture made from wood, there is a top layer that needs to be cleared before applying the paint layer. To remove the topcoat from the wood surface, use a medium-grit sandpaper.
The whole surface area of the wood has to be entirely prepared to make it ready for the paint application process. We encourage you to use a clean cloth or a vacuum cleaner to remove all the dust particles and dirt.
You then have to prevent the wood from absorbing water, as this will lead to an expansion in size and prolonged drying time. Apply several thin coats of primer and let every coat dry before the addition of other topcoats. Always apply your primer on a clean and dry surface. Finally, spread acrylic paint on the wooden surface and then apply the sealant. The sealant will protect the paint from external damages and threats.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Wood Suitable for Acrylic Paint?
Yes, wood is suitable for acrylic paint, but make sure that you do the background preparation properly to ensure a surface that is smooth, clean, and ready for the acrylic paint.
How Long Does It Take for Acrylic Paint to Dry?
The drying time for this type of paint is based on the wood type and how well-prepared the surface is. The exact drying time is between 30 minutes to 24 hours for wood.
Is It Mandatory to Apply Primer Before Acrylic Paint?
While it is not mandatory to apply a primer, you will achieve the best results by priming your surface before applying acrylic paint. This is because the primer acts as a sealant to porous surfaces like wood, and will therefore prevent any moisture from entering into and damaging the wood. Your acrylic paint will also better adhere to a primed surface than one that is not.