Iwata Eclipse – Your In-Depth Iwata HP-CS Airbrush Review
This post may contain affiliate links. We may earn a small commission from purchases made through them, at no additional cost to you.
Iwata-Medea is a company whose mission statement is to “create a great experience for the makers and creators of the world.” Iwata wants to give all their customers working in the painting industry high-end technology, and are constantly developing innovative equipment for the industry. They achieve this through the development and production of a variety of top-end creative products, including air compressors and airbrushes. This brand prides itself on being involved in providing their customers with assistance through training, hands-on workshops, and customer support. Iwata believes in treating all their customers equally, regardless of whether they are first-time buyers or seasoned experts.
Table of Contents
The Iwata Eclipse HP-CS Airbrush Gun
Iwata makes a variety of airbrushes, including the Iwata Eclipse series. This particular series of airbrushes is known for being very versatile. The Eclipse series has a high flow which allows the airbrush to atomize an assortment of liquids, with little to no thinning required. As an airbrush, it also allows you to have good control over the spray and achieve a fine, controlled line.
- Great for extremely detailed work
- Easy clean up and efficient paint flow
- Solvent-resistant and suitable for highly pigmented airbrush paints
The Iwata Eclipse HP-CS Dual Action Airbrush Gun is a multi-purpose, high-detail Eclipse series airbrush with high paint flow. It is ideally used for thicker paints and is perfect for projects which require more precise control of the spray. It can be used to apply paint to several surfaces and is great for any size surface area.
The brush has a 0,35 mm needle and nozzle combination which aids the user for finer detailed spraying, while still ensuring high paint flow. The cup is a great size at 1/3 oz. and is designed with a funnel shape which allows for easy paint flow. The shape is also perfect for clean-up.
Should you choose to purchase the Iwata Eclipse HP-CS Dual Action Airbrush Gun you will receive the following:
- Eclipse HP-CS Airbrush
- User guide
- 10-foot-long air hose
- Bottle of paint
Advantages and Disadvantages of the Iwata Eclipse Airbrush
The Iwata Eclipse HP-CS Dual Action Airbrush Gun has more than 88% positive reviews on Amazon, which is a great indication of the overall positive attributes of the device. Feedback from users include that:
- The airbrush is easy to use and is a great option for users who have no airbrush experience.
- It is high-quality enough that experienced air brushers are eager to use it.
- The device can be cleaned with ease.
- You can use the airbrush for a variety of projects, from small paint jobs to t-shirt painting.
- The device is durable, and many reviews have noted that it has lasted for years, despite regular use.
- While the airbrush may be pricey, it is worth the expense, as it has been rated as one of the best airbrushes available on the market.
However, as with any product, there are also a number of disadvantages to using this airbrush. We have outlined this product’s primary pros and cons so that you can make an informed decision.
- This airbrush gun can be used for detailed, fine work, as well as general work. It is a great option for all types of spraying needs.
- The finish of the airbrush and workmanship are of a high quality.
- Weighing only 103 grams, the airbrush is light, making it easy for the user to hold and handle.
- This is a long-lasting airbrush that works well, giving users very little trouble.
- The airbrush has a smooth trigger action.
- This particular airbrush is considered one of the most popular options currently available on the market.
- The cup that comes with this system is perfect for your color mixing needs.
- This airbrush is great for beginners to use.
- The airbrush has been designed and built with a cutaway handle. This specific design allows the user to unclog any paint when necessary without needing to remove the needle.
- Should you require any replacement parts for the airbrush, they are readily available and much cheaper than that of other airbrushes on the market.
- This particular airbrush is mainly for use on smaller works and miniature models.
- This model is quite pricey.
- If you choose to use a coarser pigmented paint, it can result in issues with the needle (due to its small size).
- The airbrush can be very time-consuming to clean.
Tips and Tricks
Using an airbrush can be tricky if you do not know what it is you are doing. We have prepared some useful tips and tricks to help you achieve the perfect finish on whatever piece you choose to airbrush!
To achieve the results you require, paint preparation is imperative. We suggest that you begin by filtering your paint through a nylon mesh. When thinning your paint, make sure you are using the correct solvent. You can prepare your paint to a milk-like consistency, and then spray several times over the area to achieve your required shade. These techniques will ensure that you achieve the desired finish and will limit the number of times you will need to clean the airbrush. Paint that has the correct consistency (thinned out to a milk-like texture) will ensure that you receive optimal results.
Before using your airbrush, you will need to ensure you have lubricated it, although it is not necessary to lubricate it every time it gets cleaned. If the lever becomes slow to respond, you can simply lubricate the O-ring of the air valve. It is important not to over-lubricate any portion of the airbrush’s mechanisms or the needle, as this can then result in paint flow issues.
You can control the thickness of your line through the air pressure and by adjusting the distance of your airbrush in relation to the surface of your piece.
- To achieve the absolute smallest lines requires skill and practice, and is not something you should try tackle as a beginner.
- Your line will be thicker the further away you are from the surface of the piece.
- If you are looking to decrease your spray width, then simply decrease your air pressure.
- To achieve thinner lines, work closer to the piece. The closer you are to the surface of the piece, the thinner the line will be.
- By increasing your air pressure, you can achieve an increase in your spray width.
Do not allow the needle to become damaged or bent, as it is very delicate and needs to be handled with care. Ensure you always clean the needle properly. To do so, you will be required to remove it from the airbrush and clean it accordingly.
If you are using a gravity-feed airbrush, ensure that you perform a paint flush between different colors. This can be done by removing the cup lid and using a cleaner or simply water, and then spraying through the airbrush until it is sufficiently cleaned.
- Do not go over the maximum air pressure of 98 psi.
- Good ventilation is key when you are working with an airbrush.
- To ensure you do not breath in any harmful vapors, make sure you utilize a proper ventilator.
- Ensure you do not spray any paint near an open flame.
- You will need to protect your eyes by wearing goggles.
There is no doubt that the Iwata Eclipse HP-CS Airbrush is a smart purchase. As a high-quality airbrush which is ideal for both beginners and experienced users, you would be hard-pressed to find a better option on the market.
This airbrush falls in the middle-range between the wide spray and fine spray brushes, and is ideal for used on a variety of projects. The airbrush is reliable and is the perfect choice for those looking for a multi-purpose tool that allows for fine, detailed spraying and a high paint flow.
It is comforting to know that before being dispatched, every single airbrush is individually tested to guarantee the user a high-quality, functioning product. Should you for any reason have a problem with the airbrush, the manufacturers will be more than happy to assist.